Monday 14 May 2012

It Is To The Vicious Zealot

Saturday May 12 2012

Mary Kenny: My point is simple: not all 'child sex abuse' is the same

"Have we now got to the point where no rational discussion of child sex abuse can take place? There is so much anger out there -- particularly directed at the Catholic clergy -- that debate on the subject is soon drowned in a sea of verbal abuse.

However, I also think there is a point to be made about clarifying the phrase 'child sex abuse'. It seems to me to be a reasonable observation that not all "child sexual abuse" is the same.

There is a difference between the penetrative rape of an innocent six-year-old, and the "fondling" of a knowing 15-year-old. Yet the phrase "child abuse" is commonly used to cover the entire gamut. Following a discussion on the Pat Kenny programme yesterday morning in which I was asked to discuss clarifying definitions of 'child sex abuse', I received the full blast of anger that surrounds the subject.

I was called, in emails, a "sick, twisted old cow"; a "degenerate old pervert . . . a pig"; I was told that I should be dead, as a disgusting defender of paedophiles [sic]."

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/mary-kenny-my-point-is-simple-not-all-child-sex-abuse-is-the-same-3105461.html

No comments:

Post a Comment